Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I Thound Thunny Holding My Thongue

It's bedtime for the big girls at our house. The boys went to bed a few hours ago and we didn't even have any of them sneaking up to beg for a drop of water for their parched tongues or a crust of bread for their starving bellies. None of them limped across the living room with excruciating growing pains in their elbows. They are sleeping and all is quiet in the house.

What's that I hear? Gaiety in the game room? Could it be true?! Are the girls still up and with their dad as the instigator?! Doesn't he know they have classes in the morning? Doesn't he care that I, yes I, sent them to bed already? But...I don't speak. I listen to the joy being expressed down there. I don't interrupt and try to get my way and ruin this great opportunity the girls have to make a little memory with their dad.

Now, it takes a lot of strength to hold a tongue as strong as mine. My tongue exercises each morning almost immediately after the boys arise and throughout the day as it directs, explains, corrects and sometimes lectures. It has the power to heave tremendous guilt trips on the unsuspecting or praise to high heaven the actions, thoughts or creative genius my husband and children exhibit daily.

The Bible says in Proverbs 21:9 "Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop,
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." I don't want my family huddled in a corner of our attic because of me:)

Tho I wiw hold my thung and thorce mythelf to enthoy the lauthter.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to practice the tongue holding myself! Glad to know I am not the only one struggling with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no,you are WAY not alone in this :)
    And you knew me way back when, I could "talk the hind leg off a mule" -Anne of Green Gables :)

    ReplyDelete